I have been. I didn’t quite realise it was a problem until recently.
You see, last week I attended a Sacred Goddess Circle on the Gold Coast (it was as amazing as it sounds!) where we learnt how to balance the softness of our feminine with the power of our masculine.
MASCULINE & FEMININE ENERGY
Each of us, no matter our gender identity have both masculine and feminine energies.
Your masculine gets shit done. It’s the go-getter, it’s all about structure, control, setting goals and intentions, working your butt off and logical and critical thinking. Your feminine on the other hand is a more intuitive, creative energy. Think heart-centered decisions, fluidity, expansion. Your feminine is governed by dreams and emotions. To me, it very much represents a lighter, airier energy.
Both energies are essential and a good balance between the two will leave you feeling energised, creative, inspired and on the road to achieving your dreams.
Before last week I never really considered the negative impact of spending too much time in my feminine. I’m not sure why. I know that spending too much time in your masculine can be hugely damaging. Burnout, overwhelm, stress, anger to name a few. But too much time in your feminine…? What’s wrong with that? Well, when there’s a lack of masculine energy, here’s what’s wrong:
- Closing off and separating yourself from the world
- Loss of self confidence and self esteem
- Tiredness, exhaustion and lack of inspiration
- Overthinking the pros and negatives of every situation as you ponder whether option A or B is your true calling
- Using phrases like “I’m surrendering to the universe” or “I’m waiting for a sign” or “Everything is as it should be right now” as an excuse not to take steps towards your dream life
- No forward planning or visioning
- Difficulty making decisions and agonising over them
- Easily distracted and working on several things at once without actually completely anything
I can relate to each of these points so much! In fact this list pretty much sums up my last two months!!
Let me be clear, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being flexible and surrendering to whatever life throws at you – in fact I’m a HUGE believer in it. BUT it’s just as important to face your fears and take action steps towards your goals. It’s important to think about the life you want to live. Who you want to be. What you want to achieve and how. I suppose the secret is planning, taking action THEN surrendering to the outcome. What I’ve been doing is surrendering before taking any action at all!
SO, WHERE DO YOU SIT ON THE SPECTRUM?
At last week’s sacred circle we did a fun exercise to figure out where we sat on Masculine/Feminine spectrum. We drew a horizontal line down a page and marked ‘Masculine’ on one end, and ‘Feminine’ on the other. We then drew a spot in the middle to emphasise the centre point. After meditating and exploring each energy more deeply we marked on the line where we felt our energy was.
Try it for yourself!
Are you happy with where you’re situated? If yes, YAY! That’s awesome! If not, how can you invite more masculine or feminine energy into your life?
Here are some ideas to get you started:
Embracing your Masculine
- Think about the life you want and what you want to achieve and create action steps on how to get there!
- Move and strengthen your body through regular exercise.
- Practice speaking up & sharing your opinions.
- Do something that scares & excites you. Whether it’s presenting a speech or jumping out of a plane!
- Adopt a confident posture & practice power posing (Check out Amy Cuddy’s Ted Talk).
- Learn a new skill and become an expert in it.
- Focus on one project at a time.
- Take yourself on solo adventures.
- Write daily to-do lists and stick to them.
Embracing your Feminine
- Journal. Try Morning Pages by Julia Cameron.
- Take time for quiet contemplation and meditation.
- Learn to trust your intuition
- Do activities that are collaborative in nature. Maybe it’s a team sport, or volunteering at a food van or attending a women’s circle.
- Spend time in nature.
- Embrace childlike play. Be silly. Laugh. Don’t take life too seriously.
- Create art. Write, paint, mould, sculpt – whatever floats your boat!
- Nourish your body with fresh vegetables and fruit. Drink more water.
- When help is offered or compliments are given, accept them! :)
I hope this blog post inspires you to go within and explore these two energies further! Enjoy!